Reaching New Heights
Alan’s presentations and workshops are gripping, informative programs supported by stunning photos and videos captured along the challenging ascent of Mount Everest. The concepts and strategies that Alan shares help develop great leaders and teams by focusing on the professional skills and mindsets essential for success. Alan’s insights highlight important qualities for effective leadership, teamwork and human performance. They include practical tools and examples that can be implemented to achieve results in participants’ personal and professional lives. Alan leads by example and has tested these strategies in his own life with tremendous results. Above all, Alan’s programs exemplify the mentality and passion involved in conquering the challenges we take on – our own Everest. By drawing parallels between mountaineering challenges and the challenges we choose or are inadvertently faced with, Alan offers ways to initiate positive change.
The presentation style that Alan has developed is energetic, engaging and interactive while the nature of his material encourages innovative thinking from participants. The techniques that he uses are both beneficial and exciting, resulting in an exceptional learning experience and greater knowledge retention. Alan has worked with many diverse audiences and continues to seek to understand what is most effective for each unique group. He customizes his programs to focus on the areas that are most beneficial. By integrating his innovative leadership and project management experience with captivating mountaineering and adventure stories, Alan creates a powerful and unforgettable journey for his audience.
“Simply amazing and awe-inspiring. An incredible speaker with a great story to tell.”
— Matthew Ng, PEng, MBA, PMP | Manager, Chapters | Professional Engineers Ontario
Alan’s dynamic programs on building trust highlight the tools and essential steps that are involved in developing a level of trust in professional relationships. This is the foundation of effective teamwork and a collaborative, transparent work environment.
- The importance and advantages of building trust
- Fostering an environment that encourages trust development
- Strategies, tools and techniques for building trust
- Gaining team member alignment and commitment
- Open and transparent communication without placing blame
Coaching & Motivation
Motivating and developing others is an art that requires a unique skill set and adaptation of various techniques. For leaders and managers, coaching skills are essential in order to effectively identify strengths, transfer knowledge and empower others.
- The importance and impact of coaching for teams and individuals
- Tools and techniques for motivating and engaging people
- Effective coaching communication strategies
- Distinguishing characteristics of outstanding coaches
- Common coaching mistakes and how to avoid them
“The one standing ovation presentation
at District Conference”
— John H. Donovan | District Governor | Rotary District 5710, Eastern Kansas
Effective leadership in today’s society requires a shift in mentality to embrace more agile and collaborative approaches that empower people, leverage technology, instil confidence and boost performance.
- Empowering your team and earning individual commitment
- Agile practices and current global trends in effective leadership
- Result-based vs. task-based leadership frameworks
- Leading with integrity and making a positive, lasting impact
- Innovation in leadership practices to drive purposeful change
Developing healthy professional relationships between team members is essential for clarifying roles, breaking down barriers, gaining alignment on team goals and effectively collaborating to find innovative solutions.
- Building strong interpersonal relationships
- Responding quickly and efficiently to issues that arise
- Healthy competition and effective collaboration
- Improving group morale and identifying individual strengths
- Overcoming adversity and resolving interpersonal conflicts
“I have no idea how I am going to even come close to matching your presentation for future conferences!”
— Steve Head | Executive Vice President | Telephone Association of New England
Alan’s strategic planning programs focus on setting strategic goals, developing a clear vision of future outcomes, gaining alignment from individual contributors and establishing the steps involved in achieving desired outcomes.
- Developing a comprehensive strategic plan
- Setting priorities and focusing energy and resources
- Adapting the strategic plan to environmental conditions
- Communicating the plan and gaining alignment from stakeholders
- Creating a sustainable culture of commitment and implementation
Sales & Marketing
To win in today’s competitive marketplace, organizations have to embrace diverse marketing strategies, understand societal trends and constantly create remarkable customer experiences centered around value, integrity and relationships.
- Understanding customer expectations and changing mentalities
- Creating a true customer experience of value and transparency
- Selling with integrity and focusing on providing quality solutions
- Expanding and innovating customer touchpoint opportunities
- Overcoming objections and reframing opportunities
“Such an insightful presentation! Practical tools and processes tailored for our industry.”
— Hannah Chala, CMP | VP Education & Programs | Meeting Planners International
Focusing on customer engagement, people-first management, boosting performance and overcoming business challenges, Alan’s business programs have received tremendous feedback from corporate audiences in a wide range of industries.
- Current business trends and insights
- Adapting to changes in workforce mentality and expectations
- Putting people first – the foundation of performance and profits
- Essential steps in successful business planning and operation
- Determining, understanding and taking calculated risks
Innovation & Critical Thinking
Innovation is what drives the world forward. Alan’s background is in innovation through custom machine design and his programs on innovation are a unique combination of technical know-how, critical thought processes and creative problem solving.
- Generating ideas and evaluating alternatives
- Proactive strategies for advancement and initiating change
- The innovation process – conceptualization to implementation
- Strategies for developing unique solutions that create value
- Agile innovation focusing on outcomes and customer needs
“Alan gives an exceptional presentation. His engaging style and breathtaking visuals would intrigue any audience.”
— Bud Wendorf | Chairman and Chief Executive Officer | Sargent & Lundy
Exploring the strategies and processes involved in shaping organizations for long-term success by creating work environments and policies that enrich employees’ lives, which in turn boosts productivity, innovation and organizational growth.
- Initiating organizational change and strategic development
- Organic and mechanistic organizational structures
- Adapting to complex, rapidly changing operating environments
- Social responsibility and advancing social justice
- Talent recruitment, training and organizational cultures
In our busy lives, it often seems as though there just isn’t enough time in a day. Learning and practicing time management strategies is key to reducing stress, boosting productivity, focusing energy and making the most of the time we have.
- Limiting and controlling common distractions
- Prioritization techniques and proven strategies
- Technology for time management – advantages and challenges
- Planning and facilitating effective and efficient meetings
- Assessing activities to eliminate or delegate low-priority tasks
“One of the most engaging programs we have had the privilege of hosting and I want to express our sincere gratitude.”
— Anastasia Ledwon, B.Sc., P.Geo. | Past Chair, Northern Branch of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC
These popular programs are centered around effective communication strategies, overcoming communication barriers, clarity of information transfer and the importance of creating an open and transparent communication culture.
- Transparency and integrity in the way we communicate
- Identifying communication barriers and challenges early
- Communication technology – the good, the bad and the ugly
- Two-way communication models and non-verbal communication
- Managing formal and informal stakeholder communications
Students & Young Professionals
Education moves society forward and our student leaders are at the forefront of shaping the future. Alan is committed to investing in the development of young people and empowering students of all levels to reach their full potential.
- Student leadership qualities and opportunities
- Developing critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Finding your passion and making your voice count
- Courage to stand out from the crowd and shape your own destiny
- Setting ambitious goals in life and making them a reality
“The profound impact that Alan made was evident by the laughter and tears expressed by many of the attendees at different points throughout his presentation”
— Iva Stankovic | Program Manager | Ontario Hospital Association
Health & Wellness
If we don’t have our health, we don’t have quality of life. It is often difficult to maintain good health in our busy lives which is why it is so important to study, understand and implement the strategies and lifestyles that promote health and wellbeing.
- Finding the right balance in life
- Incorporating physical activity into our routine
- Proper nutrition and healthy fuelling habits
- Understanding the impact of stress on our emotional health
- Our immune system and the effects of sleep and hydration
Safety & Risk Management
Alan’s safety programs are not about avoiding risk altogether, they are about studying and thoroughly understanding the safety challenges so that risks can be identified, minimized and controlled for safe and successful results.
- Safety planning, preparation and establishing procedures
- Agile practices in risk identification and management
- Incorporating lessons learned and historical information
- Contingency planning and developing response strategies
- Root cause analysis and preventative action
“We received very positive comments about how your message impacted our staff members and the difference it will make in their lives at work and outside of work.”
— Chuck Ferguson | Manager, Corporate Communications | Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
Mental Health is one of the biggest challenges that we face in today’s society. Alan has had his own journey with mental health and his programs combine personal experience with research and insights to help others through their journeys.
- Identifying internal struggles and challenges
- Mental health stigma and discrimination
- Understanding stress, anxiety and phobias
- The influence of technology on mental health
- Establishing a healthy, supportive environment
Athletics & Performance
Alan’s programs for athletes and competitive teams are fascinating sessions that explore the mental fortitude, physical endurance, personal commitment and unwavering perseverance that winning athletes and championship teams exhibit.
- Self-motivation, visualization and positive self-talk
- Determination and resilience in overcoming obstacles
- Controlling our focus and managing stress
- Setting ambitious goals that stretch us beyond our comfort zones
- Conquering our own Everest, whatever that may be